Kounrad – a low-cost, highly profitable copper producer in Kazakhstan
Nigel Robinson – CEO, Central Asia Metals
In his presentation, Nigel provided an update on Kounrad – a low-cost, highly profitable copper producer which has been operating in Kazakhstan for over 10 years.
- In-situ dump leach and SX-eq processing facility in central Kazakhstan
- Life of operation to 2034
- 2021 production, 14,041t copper
- 2022 production guidance, 13,500 – 14,000t copper cathode
In its operations, Central Asia Metals uses a purpose-driven approach. The purpose is to produce base metals, which are essential for modern living and profitability in a safe and sustainable environment for all stakeholders.
Company focuses on its values which are
- Health Safety
- Efficiency and Innovation
- Respect and trust
Key pillars for sustainability:
- Delivering value through stewardship
- Maintaining health and safety
- Focusing on people and their development within the business
- Caring for the local environment and unlocking value for our communities
When it comes to ESG – Central Asia Metals set up specific targets such as zero human rights abuses, zero fatalities.
“We look at trying to improve that year on year, we focus on our people”, – said Nigel.
Central Asia Metals maintains 99% local employment across the group and pays close attention to diversity targets also.
The company has committed to a 50% reduction in our greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.
“Yes, it’s been through a difficult year, but we still think there’s a lot of opportunity in Kazakhstan and were keen to expand our portfolio in that area.” – Summarised Nigel at the end of his presentation.